Fun fact, it’s mental health awareness month!
Now I know there is nothing fun about mental health awareness, however, I do want to take a moment to drop a few mental health statistics:
- -Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States
- -Over 44k Americans die by suicide every year
- -African Americans that are considered low income are 3 times more likely to report psychological distress
- -The rate of suicide for girls 10 to 14 is up 12%
- -Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for youth in America
Not only is it important for adults to talk about their mental health issues, but it’s also important that we not assume someone being 10 years old automatically means they won’t commit suicide.
As posted about, suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death for youth in America, which means there are a lot of little hurting souls out there that need our attention. In Washington state alone, 91 kids under the age of 19 took their lives in 2018 according to the state Department of Health.
Being that I don’t have children I can’t tell someone how to raise their kids. However, I do remember what it was like growing up as a kid in Seattle that was picked on in elementary, and middle school, teased in high school (
only Freshman year, I had an attitude adjustment that fixed that sophomore year) and because I didn’t have someone at home to talk to, I took my butt to a counselor. Well actually, my friends found out I was throwing up my food at lunch and THEY made me go. Either way, I’m happy I did.
I didn’t realize how much displaced anger and even disappointment that I had at such a young age. The issue is when we don’t deal with those issues. The last thing anyone wants is a if I knew a situation. Again, I can’t tell you how you raise your kids, however being that I know for a fact I would tell my counselor things I didn’t tell my parents, when I do have children, they will have counselors. Period!
Everyone may not need to run to their local mental health therapist (although some may need to do just that) however if you have any of the following symptoms below you should at least consider asking Siri for a list of the therapist in your area for at least a free consultation:
- not going out anymore
- not getting things done at work/school
- withdrawing from close family and friends
- relying on alcohol and sedatives
- not doing usual enjoyable activities
- unable to concentrate
Do you feel:
- lacking in confidence
Have you thought:
- 'I’m a failure.'
- 'It’s my fault.'
- 'Nothing good ever happens to me.'
- 'I’m worthless.'
- 'Life’s not worth living.'
- 'People would be better off without me.'
Local Seattle Tacoma mental health Hotline
24-Hour Crisis Line 866-427-4747
24-Hour Crisis Line – King County, WA 866-427-4747
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255